Review your Assignment
Identify any study limitations like:
- Date (last 5 years?)
- Type of study: quantitative, qualitative, mixed-methods, or pilot study?
- Study location: country? state/region?
- Researcher/author: RN? NP? PA? OT? Ph.D.?
- Methods: retrospective? controlled? Double-blind? experimental?
Search for Studies
Create a search string that includes your topic and required study characteristics:
“elementary education” AND “literacy” AND “teaching methods” AND “quantitative”
Assess Your Results
- Are the results on the topic?
- Should you add to or change your search terms?
- What filters do you need: date? scholarly journal? grade or age? research? peer-reviewed? Check the advanced search for all options.
Adjust your search until you find relevant results. Need help? Ask a Librarian.
Review the Article Information
- Click on the article title and read the abstract, subjects/descriptors, and publication type.
- Look for clues about the study location, type of study or methods, and age of participants.
- The author’s affliation (where the author works) is often the same city and sometimes same location where the research took place
- Inside the article, look for PDF full-text or HTML full-text options.
- Click on Link to Full-text to see if the article is available in Primo.
- If nothing works, request the article via Inter-library loan. Most requests are filled in within 3 days via email.