Find Full-text Instruments
Most research instruments are protected by copyright and not freely available. Some tests also require specific training to use. This makes it difficult to find research instruments you can use for course projects.
We recommend finding a test you can use rather than trying to find a copy and get permission for a known test, when possible.
- Try searching a search engine for the name of the test. You may find a copy of the test online.
- You must obtain permission for educational use from the copyright owner to use any tests you find online.
- ETS TestLink Database: follow the instructions below the search: “To Search for a Downloadable Test”
- In the search box, type a few words for the topic of your research study (ex. depression)
- Scroll down until you see the publication type box. Choose Research Instrument
- In the search box, type a few words for the topic of your research study (ex. dyslexia)
- Scroll down until you see the publication type box. Choose Tests/Questionnaires
- On the advanced search page you will find a box labeled Tests and Measures below the main search box.
- Type in your topic and click search.
Find Instrument Suggestions
- Books & ebooks on research instruments
- Mental Measurement Yearbook (1995)
- Tests in Print (2016)
- Directory of unpublished experimental mental measures (2008)
- OR Search for research studies on your topic, and see what instruments are popular.