Welcome to the Education Subject Guide.
Audience: CUW undergraduate and graduate students in all School of Education programs
Help Available: If you need help finding resources, please contact librarians with Ask a Librarian or on the Library Tab in the Portal (phone, email, chat)
How to Use: Resources in this guide are organized by type. Click a tab to see appropriate information for your need.
Institutional Repository: CUW Graduate Education Action Research Project
Gale Academic OneFile (Gale) Academic OneFile provides over 17,000 scholarly journals and other authoritative sources—including podcasts and transcripts from NPR and CNN as well as videos from BBC Worldwide Learning.
Academic Search Complete (EBSCOhost) Comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with full-text periodicals, including peer-reviewed journals. Indexing and abstracts for journals monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc.
ProQuest Central Coverage of over 160 subject areas, including business and economics, health and medical, education, news and world affairs, and more.
LearningExpress Library (Provided by Badgerlink)
Teaching Licensing Exams Preparation materials.
See “Exam Preparation” tab for instructions
Education Research Specific
Education Database (ProQuest) Literature and articles on primary, secondary and higher education as well as special education, home schooling and adult education.
Education Source (EBSCOhost) This database provides scholarly research for education students, professionals, and policy makers. It covers all levels of education as well as all educational specialties such as multilingual education, health education, and testing. Content includes: full text and indexing for journals, books and monographs, conference papers, and book reviews.
Educational Administration Abstracts (EBSCOhost-provided by Badgerlink) Includes bibliographic records covering areas related to educational administration, including educational leadership, educational management, educational research, and other areas of key relevance to the discipline.
ERIC (EBSCOhost-provided by Badgerlink) Provides citation and abstract information for educational journals and related documents from the Educational Resource Information Center and educational symposium. 1967-present.
Explora for Educators (Provided by Badgerlink) lesson plans, student tools, curriculum standards, and other professional development resources for educators.
Gale OneFile: Educators Reference Complete (Gale) Full-text for titles in the Eric database and covers multiple levels of education from preschool to college, and every educational specialty–such as technology, bilingual education, health education, and testing. It also provides insight on administration, funding, and policy.
Professional Development Collection (EBSCOhost-provided by Badgerlink) High quality education journals and educational reports.
Children’s Core Collection (H.W. Wilson) (EBSCOhost-provided by Badgerlink) Fiction and nonfiction works, story collections, picture books and magazines for readers in preschool- 6th grade. Books cover social sciences, science, math and reading.
*use full-text filter for this database
Explora for Elementary Schools (Provided by Badgerlink) Content for elementary school students on arts and music, geography, language arts, math, science and health, and social studies.
Explora for Middle & High Schools (Provided by Badgerlink) Content for Middle and High School Students on a wide range of subjects including Arts and Literature, Current Issues, Geography, Science and Math, and History.
MAS Complete (EBSCOhost-provided by Badgerlink) High school magazines, full-text reference books, biographies, primary source documents, photos, maps & flags. 1975-present.
*use full-text filter for this database
Middle and Junior High Core Collection (H.W. Wilson) (EBSCOhost-provided by Badgerlink) This Collection is a selective list of fiction and non-fiction books recommended for grades 5 through 9, along with review sources and other professional aids.
*use full-text filter for this database
Middle Search Plus (EBSCOhost-provided by Badgerlink) Provides full text for popular middle school magazines, primary sources, images, maps, flags, biographies, and historical essays. All full text articles included in the database are assigned a reading level indicator (Lexiles).
Primary Search (EBSCOhost-provided by Badgerlink) Full-text popular magazines for elementary school research. Full text articles date as far back as 1990 and are assigned a reading level indicator (Lexiles).
Looking for some suggestions for learning activities and lesson plans? Many museums, book publishers, and non-profits offer free materials for teachers on their website.
- The Learning Network (New York Times)
- EduCore (ASCD)
- History Lesson Plans & Class Materials (Library of Congress)
- Wisconsin History (Wisconsin Historical Society)
- Language Arts Lessons & Ideas (Scholastic)
- LitCharts (Book guides, poetry guides, Shakespeare)
- National Center for Case Studies Teaching Science (grade 6 & up)
- Science Teaching Resources from NAST (K-12)
- Read Write Think (K-12 Lesson plans, learning objectives, Apps, videos)
- Vocabulary.com (vocabulary lists for books & current events)
Use these search techniques to locate Primary Research inside databases.
- Add the following row of keywords to your search: (methods AND results) OR methodology OR “case study” OR “this study” OR “a study”. You will want to copy and paste this entire row of keywords into its own search box (see first example below).
Important! From your list of results, you will still need to examine each article to see if it is primary research.
- Filter by Document Type: on the Advanced Search page choose Case Study under Document Type or Publication Type. In ProQuest Education Journals, it looks like this:
All of these results are generally primary research articles, but not all primary research is a case study, so you will likely be missing some primary research articles on your topic by searching this way.
- In ERIC database, you can choose “Reports – All” and/or “Reports – Research” under Publication Type.
You can search for journal articles in Primo and library databases (see databases tab).
For General Instructions: Finding Journal Articles
Finding Journal Articles By Journal Title in Primo
- Open Primo Journal Title Search
- Search for the Journal’s Title
- Click on the Journal title in the search results.
- Search inside the journal for keywords on the journal page.
You can search for books & ebooks in Primo.
Library of Congress Call Numbers
LB Theory & Practice (Teaching & Administration)
LB1762-66 Praxis Exam Study Guides
LC Special aspects (Subjects, School types, types of students)
Reference Books are located in the short stacks in the center of the Library. How to Use Online Encyclopedias
|Encyclopedia of Educational Leadership & Administration||Ebook|
|Encyclopedia of Early Childhood Education||Ebook|
|Encyclopedia of Christian Education||REF BV1471.3 .E53 2015|
|Encyclopedia of American Education||REF LB17 .U54 2001|
|Gender and Education : and Encyclopedia||REF LC213 .G425 2007|
Americans with Disabilities Act
Current law text with revisions
Cornell Legal Dictionary Education Page
legal history and federal and state cases
Safe Supportive Learning
School discipline laws organized by state
Education Commission of the States (ECS) Wisconsin Guide
Wisconsin education laws organized by topic (up to 2016)
Education Trade Magazines are magazine written by teachers and administrators for teachers and administrators. They are a great way to obtain advice and classroom-tested ideas.
Magazines usually target a specific class subject or grade focus (early childhood, elementary, middle, or secondary teachers).
At CUW Library, they are available in Print & in Education Databases.
HOW TO FIND THEM:
In Advanced Search, choose the Source type Trade Journals:
HOW TO FIND THEM:
In Advanced Search, choose the Publication type Trade Publication:
These links open a database where you can search for articles within the magazine. Many of these titles are also available in print, so check Primo as well.
- American Biology Teacher
- American Music Teacher
- Art Education (Print Only)
- Arts & Activities (Art Education)
- Choices (Teen Health)
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Education Update (School Administration)
- Education Week
- Educational Leadership
- Exchange (Early Childhood Edu)
- Geography Teacher
- Green Teacher (Environmental Edu)
- Great Activities (P.E.)(Print Only)
- Instrumentalist (Band Directors)(Print only)
- Mathematics Teaching in Middle School
- Math Horizons
- New Teacher Advocate
- NAEA News
- NSTA Reports (Science)
- The Reading Teacher
- School Arts
- Scholastic Teacher
- Science & Children (K-5)
- Science Scope (6-8)
- Social Studies and the Young Learner (Print only)
- Teaching Mathematics
- Teaching Children Mathematics (K-6)
- Teaching Pre-k-8
- YC-Young Children (Early Childhood Edu)
Note: You request scans of articles in print-only titles in Primo
Many subject specialties and states have their own professional organizations.
Association of American Educators (AAE)
Lutheran Education Association (LEA)
National Association for Music Education (NAFME)
National Association of Special Education Teachers (NASET)
National Business Education Association (NBEA)
National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
National Educators Association (NEA)
Wisconsin Education Association Council (WEAC)
DATA & POLICY
US Department of Education
ETS research reports
National Center for Education Statistics
Education Policy and Data Center (EPDC) Data Sources
Data Quality Campaign Resources (utilizing data effectively)
Wisconsin School Data (DPI)
Teacher examination study guides are primarily located within the call number range of : LB1762 and LB1766 in Main Stacks and Course Reserves.
In Primo, choose Study guide under Format filter
Praxis CORE tests in Reading, Writing, and Math Study guides:
1. From the homepage select Career Preparation
2. Click on Prepare for an Occupation Exam
3. Scroll down to Teaching
4. Choose: Prepare for the Praxis® Core Tests or Prepare for the Praxis II® Subject Assessments
5. Under the relevant practice test or exam guide click Sign in or Register.
6. Click Register and create a free account.
Note: If you are located on-campus, your institution will be “Badgerlink”.
1. Choose Mequon-Concordia University Wisconsin from the Choose Your Library list
2. Enter your CUW library barcode.
3. On the Find Resources page, click on LearningExpress Library and create a LearningExpress User Account.