Welcome to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program Guide!
Audience: CUW undergraduate students in DMS courses.
Help Available: Please contact librarians with Ask a Librarian or on the Library Tab in the Portal (phone, email, chat)
How to Use: Click a tab for more information.
Finding Primary Research Articles
Use these search techniques to locate primary research articles inside databases.
- Add the following row of keywords to your search: (methods AND results) OR methodology OR “research” OR “study”. You will want to copy and paste this entire row of keywords into its own search box in the advanced search.
Important! From your list of results, you will still need to examine each article to see if it is primary research.
- Filter by Document/Article/Publication type: health sciences databases often let you limit results by article type. Common options include:
- Clinical Trials
- Randomized Controlled Trial
- Cohort Study
- Case study/Case Report
Search for Journal articles in Primo or library database (see databases tab)
Instructions for finding, accessing full-text, & requesting: Finding Journal Articles
- Journal of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JDMS)
- Journal of Ultrasound Medicine ( some full-text in Primo)
- Ultrasound Quarterly (request articles via ILL)
- Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology
- American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Finding Journal Articles By Journal Title in Primo
- Open Primo Journal Title Search
- Search for the Journal’s Title.
- Click on the Journal title in the search results.
- Search inside the journal for keywords on the journal page using the search box OR
- Click on a database link to locate articles by year, volume, and issue.
Mesh is a specialized vocabulary for finding journal articles in PubMed and other databases.
Diagnostic imaging is a subheading you can add to other terms.
“Kidney/diagnostic imaging” is the medical imaging of a kidney. However, this might include other methods besides sonography (like x-ray).
Books and websites are a great resource for reviewing and mastering course concepts.
- Search for books and ebooks by topic in Primo.
- For instructions finding print books and using ebooks: Finding Books Guide
- Find a specific book
Library of Congress Call Numbers
- QM Human Anatomy
- R723-726 Medical Ethics
Encyclopedias & Dictionaries
|Gray’s Anatomy||REF QM 23.2 G73|
|Waldman’s Comprehensive Atlas of Diagnostic Ultrasound of Painful Conditions||Ebook|
|Human Anatomy Online||Website|
|NLM’s MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia||Website|
When would I need to find statistics and datasets? You might use statistics to describe your population/problem and show why it’s important.
- HealthData.gov: US health and medicine data
- National Center for Health Statistics- Fast Stats Alphabetical list of stats on public health issues
- National Center for Health Statistics- Health annual report Datafinder tool and free infographics
- State Health Facts (Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation)
- World Health Organization Data Repository: Health-related statistics from over 100 countries
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
List of data and statistics sources from the US Department of Health & Human Services.