To find Primary Research Articles inside databases Add the following row of keywords to your search:
(methods AND results) OR methodology OR “case study” OR “this study” OR “a study”.
You will want to copy and paste this entire row of keywords into its own search box in the advanced search.
Important! From your list of results, you will still need to examine each article to see if it is primary research
Research Search Tools
Working on a literature review? Try one of these tools for more research articles and grey literature
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Past, current, and upcoming clinical trials.
- NARIC (National Rehabilitation Information Center) DATABASE. 69,000 abstracts of books, reports, articles, and audiovisual materials relating to disability and rehabilitation research. 1956 -present.
- Epistemonikos: Evidence-Based Healthcare Search Tool
- HSRProj (Health Services Research Projects in Progress) (NIH): Search tool for current health services research and public health projects in the US
PICO Specific Search Tools
Clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice. Registered users (registration is free) benefit from extra features such as CPD, search history, and collaborative tools.
Search for Journal articles in Primo or library database (see databases tab)
Instructions for searching & requesting: Finding Journal Articles
- Pediatric Physical Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- PT in Motion
- Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation
- The Journal of Manual & Manipulative Therapy
- Journal of Women’s Health Physical Therapy
- The Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy
- Physical Therapy EJournals Shelf
Find Journal Articles By Journal Title
- Open Primo Journal Title Search
- Search for the Journal’s Title or ISSN.
- Click on the Journal’s title in the search results.
- Search inside the journal for the article title on the journal page, or click a database link for years, volumes, and issues.
Note: Digital scans of print journal articles can be requested through Primo.
Search for books and ebooks in Primo.
General Instruction: Finding Books Guide
Library of Congress Call Numbers
RJ 52-53 Pediatric Therapeutics
RM 695-799 Physical therapy and rehabilitation
RM 930-931 Rehabilitation therapy
Note: You will be prompted to create a free account to download a large number of pages.
Use these general guides to look up definitions or vocabulary.
|Gray’s Anatomy||REF QM 23.2 G73|
|Merck manual of diagnosis and therapy||REF RC 55 M4|
|Physicians’ Desk Reference||REF RS 75. P5|
|Human Anatomy Online||Website|
|NLM’s MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia||Website|
When would I need to find statistics and datasets? You might use statistics to describe your population/problem and show why it’s important.
- HealthData.gov: US health and medicine data
- National Center for Health Statistics- Fast Stats Alphabetical list of stats on public health issues
- National Center for Health Statistics- Health annual report Datafinder tool and free infographics
- State Health Facts (Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation)
- World Health Organization Data Repository: Health-related statistics from over 100 countries
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
List of data and statistics sources from the US Department of Health & Human Services.
- American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists (AAOP)
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
- The Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT)
- National Rehabilitation Association (NRA)
- Wisconsin Physical Therapy Association (WPTA)
Online Encyclopedia of Physiotherapy
Overview of Medical conditions and treatments
- MedlinePlus Encyclopedia
Covers the basics of medical conditions, medications, and medical tests
Other Library Research Guides:
Click on the video and the CC icon for captions.