Welcome to the Natural Sciences Subject Guide.
Audience: CUW undergraduate students in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geology, Earth Sciences, and Environmental Sciences
Help Available: please contact librarians with Ask a Librarian or on the Library Tab in the Portal (phone, email, chat)
How to Use: Click a tab to see more about each topic.
For General Instructions see: Finding Journal Articles
You can search for journal articles in Primo and library databases (see databases tab).
Many of the natural sciences journal articles are located in multiple smaller databases, so we recommend using the Advanced Search in Primo which searches most of the databases at once.
Finding Journal Articles By Journal Title in Primo
- Open Primo Journal Title Search
- Search for the Journal’s Title
- Click on the Journal title in the search results.
- Search inside the journal for keywords on the journal page.
Library of Congress Call Numbers
Reference Books are located in the short stacks in the center of the Library. Need help? Using Online Encyclopedias
|Gale Encyclopedia of Science||REF Q121 .G35 2008|
|Aldrich Chemistry: Handbook of Fine Chemicals||REF QD65 .A38|
Van Nostrand’s Scientific Encyclopedia
|REF Q121 .V3 2008|
|REF QH332 .E56 2004|
|CRC Handbook of Chemistry & Physics||REF QD65 .H3|
Looking for research studies or grey literature for a literature review? Try one of these.
- Global Science Gateway
Search science research from countries around the world
- DOE Pages (Dept. of Energy)
Scholarly journal articles from DOE projects
- Citeseerx (Computer Science)
Digital library and search engine for computer and information science
- Scitation (Physics)
News, comment, analysis and research in the Physical Sciences
- BioMed Central
Collection of Open Access journals in science, technology, engineering and medicine
These websites are great for learning course topics or exploring paper topics.
- National Science Foundation
Find current news and research reports on past and current projects, and research guidelines.
- Office of Science and Technical Information
Science, technology, and engineering research information funded by U.S. Department of Energy
Search tool for federal science information, research & development
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources -Water Topics
Guide to Managing, conserving and restoring WI water resources
- Encyclopedia of Life
Online Encyclopedia for a wide variety of animals, plants, fungi, protists and bacteria
- USDA Plants Database
Standardized information about the vascular plants, mosses, liverworts, hornworts, and lichens of the U.S. and its territories.
Largest collection of free chemical information, including chemical and physical properties, biological effects, safety and toxicity information, patents & datasets
UCLA Science Information Life Cycle – Tutorial highlighting information production and dissemination in the sciences
Trying to determine if an article is published in a peer-reviewed journal?
- Click on the journal title in the database record to open the journal’s page (you may have to click a more or show all link to see peer-reviewed status):
2. Check the journal’s website for a description of the editing process. This will also appear inside a paper issues or volumes of the journal.