Welcome to the Exercise Physiology Guide.
Audience: CUW undergraduate and MAT graduate students
Help Available: Please contact librarians with Ask a Librarian or on the Library Tab in the Portal (phone, email, chat)
How to Use: Click any tab to learn more.
- EXPH 225: Introduction to Exercise Science
- EXPH 475/EXPH 495: Senior Seminar
- EXPH 494: Exercise & Chronic Disease
Use these search techniques to locate Primary Research Articles inside databases.
- Add the following row of keywords to your search: (methods AND results) OR methodology OR “case study” OR “research” OR “study”. You will want to copy and paste this entire row of keywords into its own search box (see first example below).
Important! From your list of results, you will still need to examine each article to see if it is primary research.
- Filter by Document Type: on the Advanced Search page choose Case Study or Research under Document Type or Publication Type. In ProQuest databases, it looks like this:
All of these results are generally primary research articles, but not all primary research is a case study, so you will likely be missing some primary research articles on your topic by searching this way.
- In Ebscohost databases, you can choose
“Research” under Publication Type.
4. If you get a lot of results, consider limiting by Special interest or Field as well:
You can search for journal articles in Primo and library databases (see databases tab).
For General Instructions: Finding Journal Articles
Issues from the past year often require ILL or Print
- ACSM’s Health and Fitness Journal
- Acta Physiologica
- American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Applied Physiology Nutrition And Metabolism
- Archives Of Physical Medicine And Rehabilitation
- Clinical Exercise Physiology
- Clinical Journal Of Sport Medicine
- Dynamic Medicine
- European Journal of Applied Physiology
- Exercise and Sport Science Reviews (More in Print)
- International Journal of Exercise Science
- International Journal of Obesity
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise
- Journal of Applied Biomechanics
- Journal of Applied Physiology
- Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention
- Journal of Exercise Physiology
- Journal of Physical Activity And Health
- Journal of Physical Therapy
- Journal of Physical Therapy Science
- Journal of Professional Exercise Physiology
- Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research
- Journal of The American Geriatrics Society
- Journal of The American Medical Association (JAMA)
- Medicine And Science In Sports And Exercise
- New England Journal Of Medicine
- Strength and Conditioning Journal
- South African Journal of Sports Medicine
- Sport Medicine Standards and Malpractice Reporter
- Sports Medicine
You can search for books & ebooks in Primo
For General instructions: Finding Books
Library of Congress Call Numbers
Reference books are located in the short stacks in the center of the library. Need Help? Finding Encyclopedia’s Guide
|Gray’s Anatomy||REF QM 23.2 G73|
|Merck manual of diagnosis and therapy||REF RC 55 M4|
|Physicians’ Desk Reference||REF RS 75. P5|
|Human Anatomy Online||Website|
|NLM’s MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia||Website|
Health Statistics Online
- HealthData.gov: US health and medicine data
- National Center for Health Statistics- Fast Stats Alphabetical list of stats on public health issues
- National Center for Health Statistics- Health annual report Datafinder tool and free infographics
- State Health Facts (Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation)
- World Health Organization Data Repository: Health-related statistics from over 100 countries
- NIH tutorial on finding and using health statistics
- American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR)
- American Council on Exercise (ACE)
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Fitness Professionals and Associates
- American Kinesiology Association
- American Society of Exercise Physiologists
- Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology
- Clinical Exercise Physiology Association
- National Strength and Conditioning Association
Online Encyclopedia of Physiotherapy
Overviews of medical conditions and treatments
- U.S. National Center for Health Statistics (CDC)
Find the prevalence of medical conditions in the United States
Research Search Tools
Working on a literature review? Try one of these online tools to find additional research studies and grey literature. Search for the article title in Primo to find to full-text.
- Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects (DARE)
- HSRProj (Health Services Research Projects in Progress) (NIH)
- PLoS Medicine
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
PICO Search Tools
- PEDro (Physiotherapy Evidence Database):
free database of over 19,000 randomised trials, systematic reviews and clinical practice guidelines in physiotherapy.
- Trip Database – Clinical Search Engine Clinical search tool designed to allow health professionals to rapidly identify the highest quality clinical evidence for clinical practice. Registered users (registration is free) benefit from extra features such as CPD, search history, and collaborative tools.
Search Pubmed using PICO
- Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Sources in the Health Sciences
- Types of Research Studies (Hierarchy of Evidence) PDF
Click on the video and the CC icon for captions.