Welcome to the Criminal Justice Subject Guide.
Audience: CUW undergraduate and graduate students in Criminal justice-focused programs.
Help Available: please contact librarians with Ask a Librarian or on the Library Tab in the Portal (phone, email, chat)
How to Use: Click a tab to learn more.
Looking for some suggestions for Primo or databases? Try one of these keywords or phrases related to your topic.
- “Criminal Justice”
- “Administration of Corrections”
- “Criminal investigation”
- “Criminal law”
- “Criminal procedure”
- “Forensic Sciences”
- “Law enforcement”
- “Juvenile delinquenc*”
- “Juvenile Justice”
You can search for journal articles in Primo and library databases (see databases tab).
For General Instructions: Finding Journal Articles
These links open databases where you can search for journal articles within the journal.
- American Criminal Law Review
- American Journal Of Criminal Law
- Buffalo Criminal Law Review
- Crime and Justice
- Criminal Justice Ethics
- Criminal Justice Policy Review
- Criminal Justice Review
- Federal Sentencing Reporter
- New Criminal Law Review
- New England Journal on Criminal And Civil Confinement
- Youth Violence & Juvenile Justice
Finding Journal Articles By Journal Title in Primo
- Open Primo Journal Title Search
- Search for the Journal’s Title.
- Click on the Journal title in the search results.
- Search inside the journal for keywords on the journal page.
- Open Primo Journal Title Search
You can search for Books & ebooks in Primo
For General Instruction: Finding Books
Library of Congress Call Numbers
HV 6001-7221 Criminology
HV 7231-9960 Criminal justice administration
HV 7431 Crime prevention
HV 7551-8080 Police
HV 8301-9921 Prison
Reference Books are located in the short stacks in the center of the Library. Need Help? How to Use Online Encyclopedias
Sage Encyclopedia of social science research methods
|REF H62 .L456 2004|
|Crime in the United States||REF HV 6787 .A32|
|The Dictionary of Criminal Justice||REF HV 7411 .R87 2000|
|Encyclopedia of Law Enforcement||REF HV 7921 .E53 2005|
|Encyclopedia of Juvenile Justice||Ebook|
Government Reports & Non-Profit Research
- International Criminal Justice (ACJS)
Information Resources from the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences (ACJS)
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service
a federally funded resource offering justice and drug-related information to support research, policy, and programs worldwide.
- United States Department of Justice
Federal government’s facts and figures on all crime that effects Americans.
- Campbell Corporation Online Library
Systematic reviews and evidence-based research summaries.
- Criminal Justice Research Alliance
(CJRA) is a centralized resource of authoritative experts and scholarly research studies on crime and criminal justice issues.
- Center for Evidence-Based Crime Policy (CEBCP)
Research center for rigorous studies in criminal justice and criminology
- Department of Homeland Security
A cabinet department of the United States federal government responsible for public security
- FBI Uniform Crime Reports (UCR)
An annual publication summarizing violent and property crime offenses in the United States and by state as well as arrest, clearance, and law enforcement employee data. UCR Data Tool provides easy searching of crime statistics for national, state, and individual law enforcement agency.
- Wisconsin Department of Justice (Law Enforcement Division)
Officer training standards, crime statistics, crime lab information, research & program evaluation
- WILENET: Wisconsin Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) statistics
- Bureau of Justice: Data about US law enforcement, prison, parole and probation, and courts
- National Crime Victimization Survey: Personal & household crime data 1973- from the US Dept. of Justice.
- International Crime Victims Survey: United Nations survey of crime and safety in the European Union.
- National Archive of Criminal Justice Data: Complied data from the National Crime Victimization Survey.