Welcome to the Communication Sciences & Disorders Subject Guide.
Audience: CUW CSD undergraduate and SLP graduate students
Help Available: If you need help, please contact librarians with Ask a Librarian or on the Library Tab in the Portal (phone, email, chat)
How to Use: Click on a tab to learn more.
Search for Scholarly Articles
You can also search Primo for articles.
For General Instructions: Finding Journal Articles
Browse Articles by Journal Title
Use the search option in the database to search inside the journal for keywords on your topic.
- AAC: Augmentative & Alternative Communication
- American Journal of Audiology
- American Journal of Speech Language Pathology
- Brain and Language
- Communication Disorders Quarterly
- Hearing Research
- International Journal of Audiology
- International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders
- International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology
- Journal of the American Academy of Audiology
- Journal of Communication Disorders
- Journal of Medical Speech Language Pathology
- Journal of Speech, Language & Hearing Research
- Language and Speech
- Language, Speech & Hearing Services in Schools
Search for Ebooks
Reference BooksThese General books serve as a good starting point for definitions and background information
Browse for Books in the LibraryLibrary of Congress Call Numbers
- Responsible and Efficient Literature Searching Guide (.DOC)
- Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Sources in the Health Sciences
Types of Research Studies (Hierarchy of Evidence) PDF
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. (2004). Evidence-based practice in communication disorders: An introduction. Technical Report.
- Checklists for EBP Research Study Articles (8 total)
Other CUW Help Guides
EBP Research Search Tools
- Speech Bite (Web database of EBP research for SLP)
- ASHA Evidence Maps: Searchable online tool which provides external scientific evidence, clinical expertise, and client perspectives on CSD topics and conditions
Registry of past, current, and upcoming clinical trials.
- NARIC (National Rehabilitation Information Center) DATABASE. 69,000 abstracts of books, reports, articles, and audiovisual materials relating to disability and rehabilitation research. 1956 -present.
EPB search tool for systematic reviews
- HSRProj (Health Services Research Projects in Progress) (NIH)
Search tool for current health services research and public health projects in the US
PICO Search Tools Online
MeSH terms vs. Keywords:
Looking for some suggestions for Primo or databases? Try one of these keywords or phrases related to your topic.
LC Subject Terms:
“American Sign Language”
Language Disorders in children
“Speech Disorders in children”
Online Data Sources
- National Institute of Deafness and other Communication Disorders: US Statistics on speech, hearing, and deafness
- National Center for Health Statistics- Health annual report Datafinder tool and free infographics of US health spending and health care use
- State Health Facts (Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation): Medicaid benefits cover for SLP services by state
- NIH Free online tutorial about finding and using health statistics
- ASHA CREd Library
Articles and multimedia resources related to clinical practice in communication disorders
Patient Support and Educational Organizations
Click on the video and the CC icon for captions.