Jump to a Section
- Step 1: Watch the Library Orientation Video (2 min)
- More Services for Distance Students (3 min)
- Step 2: Read the Library FAQS
- Step 3: Learn About Primo
- Step 4: Setup Zotero
- Step 5: Learn About Research Help
- Step 6: Update your Bookmarks
Welcome to Concordia University Wisconsin! Whether you study or teach on-campus, at a center, or online, we recommend these six easy steps to all students and faculty.
Step 1: Watch the Library Orientation Video (2 min)
More Services for Distance Students (3 min)
For captions on any video, click on the video, then the CC icon.
Step 2: Read the Library FAQS
Save yourself time and frustration. Click on each question to review the answers.
A: Your library account is located inside Primo, our library search system.
- Login to Portal. Open the library Tab. Click Primo in the Primo Search box.
2. Click Sign In in the top menu bar on the far right side. Use the CUW Portal Option.
3. Click on your name on the top menu bar. Click library card.
4. Click on loans to check due dates and renew items.
A: All students are given a set number of pages to print for free around campus but you must print from a campus computer or through WebPrint.
1. Upload documents into WebPrint, the campus wide online printing service. Find Webprint, and instructions, on the Resources Tab in Portal.
2. Find the closest printer in the library (there are two printers), and login using the ID reader and your Falcon ID or using the touch screen with your portal login.
3. Click on the document you want to release from your print Queue.
4. Log out of your print account.
You can add pages to your print account (with cash) through IT on campus at the Help Desk.
Database access is provided by a CUW library subscription, which is paid for primarily by CUW student tuition funds. Your log-in is proof of your status as an authorized user.
Note: login to Primo is also required for some databases to appear in Primo search results, even on campus.
A: If you are seeing this message, your library account was deactivated/not activated. Sometimes this happens by accident, especially for new students or at the start of a new semester. If you are a member of the CUW community and should have access ( registered courses must be officially started), please contact Ask a Librarian and mention this message.
A: Finding specific items can sometimes be tricky. Here are some tips to help.
Remember, Primo doesn’t have a spell checker.
1. Try searching the full Title in Primo. Choose the Everything Search option (it is not default). The item should appear on the first page of results.
Sometimes the resource type in Primo is incorrect. Click the database Link and check the information there to be sure. For example, dissertations often come up as books.
2. If that doesn’t work, try adding the middle drop down filter “with my exact phrase”and search again.
3. If that doesn’t work, try repeating your search in EBSCO and GOOGLE SCHOLAR by clicking the links on the right side.
Look for the Full Text @ CUW link in Google Scholar to find the item in Primo.
The links to Google Scholar and EBSCO time out quickly so be sure to click them right away for best results
4. Still cannot find it? Ask a Librarian
Sometimes. CUW Library does not purchase textbooks, however:
- Professors can put physical copies of the textbook on course reserve inside the library.
- Occasionally students donate their textbooks to the library. You'll find these mixed in with the main stacks.
- Professors sometimes use a library eBook as a textbook alternative.
Search for the title of the book in Primo to see if we have it. Sometimes the older edition of the same text will suffice.
A: We created a guide Finding Journal Articles to help students understand what journal articles are and how to find them.
A: If multiple links are available, try another link.
In other cases, sometimes Primo links to a journal website or other open access resource online. Search for the article title in the website search box.
A: No. The library has DynamedPlus database instead, which works the same way.
DynaMed Plus (EBSCOhost)
DynaMed is a clinical reference tool which provides fast, easy access to the latest evidence-based information. DynaMed includes clinically-organized summaries for thousands of topics.
Stop by the library office during regular hours. Replacement ID cost is $25, paid at the cashier's office ahead of time.
Find more information on our website here for online students: Concordia ID Cards.
The Southeastern Wisconsin Information Technology Exchange (SWITCH) is a group of eight academic libraries at schools in the Milwaukee area that share physical library resources. Member libraries are located at Alverno College, Cardinal Stritch University, Concordia University Wisconsin, Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design, Mount Mary University, Sacred Heart School of Theology, St. Francis Seminary, and Wisconsin Lutheran College.
Search for Switch Items in the SWITCH Libraries or Everything Search option.
Click SWITCH Request inside the item to have the item delivered to CUW Library for pick up at the circulation desk. Delivery is usually within 1-2 business days.
CUW Commuter, center, or online students: Do you live close to another SWITCH campus? Bring your FalconID and you are welcome to access and check out their physical materials on-site. SWITCH physical items can also be mailed home.
Step 3: Learn About Primo
Most of your library searching will take place inside Primo, our library’s search tool. Learn about it’s features and how to use it.
More Information: Primo Quick Start Guide
Searching Primo (6 min)
Learn about when and how to best use the advanced search option
Primo Advanced Search (2 min)
Step 4: Setup Zotero
This video will explain why we recommend a citation manager like Zotero for all students.
Benefits of Citation Managers (1 min)
Step 5: Learn About Research Help
This video will teach you about help options in the library
What if I need research help? (2 min)
This video will give you a quick tour of Research Guides, this website.
What is Research Guides? (2 min)
Step 6: Update your Bookmarks
We recommend you bookmark the following pages for easy access.
Visit the Library Tab in CUW Portal for a full list of quick links and other resources.