Jump to a Section
- CUW has physical and electronic dictionaries, encyclopedias, and other reference books.
- Search for these books in Primo Search and subject specific databases.
- Find subject-relevant options on the books tab of your subject guide or course/program guide
- There are different ways to search entries in e-books (see below).
Why Use Reference Books?
This short video covers the main reasons you should start your research with an encyclopedia or other reference book.
5 Reasons to use reference books (2 min)
Encyclopedias & Dictionaries in Primo
Search Primo for encyclopedias & dictionaries.
- Combine topic keywords and the word dictionary or encyclopedia in CUW Library Search
2. In the search results, under Format, choose the best options and Apply filters.
There are 3 possible locations in the library: CUW Main stacks, CUW Reference, or Online
Note: CUW Reference Books are for in-library use only.
Using Electronic Reference Books
Online encyclopedias & dictionaries come in a few formats.
- Some online encyclopedias & dictionaries will provide an alphabetical table of contents. Open the list and select an entry:
- Some reference books provide a search box to find topics. Search for keywords and choose the best entry from the results.
OR Click the date hyperlink to see a list of entries.
Searching Databases with Encyclopedias
To find entries, use the same search technique as Primo:
Then, click on an entry title from the search results.
Again, it might be helpful to filter your source type to Reference books: